How do I make sure my computer will work?
In order to complete a TalkAbroad conversation, you will need a computer with an internet browser that is WebRTC enable. All modern browsers and phones with work with TalkAbroad (latest versions of Google Chrome, Firefox Mozilla, or Safari are recommended browsers to complete conversations. Refrain from using Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer as you might have problems through the conversation). You will also need a functioning microphone and video camera. Please test your equipment thoroughly to ensure they work well. If you are uncomfortable with the technology needed to successfully complete a conversation, please complete a test call ahead of time.
There are two methods for testing your computer:
- Test with a friend. (suggested).
- Copy your personal test link located at the top of the test screen and give it to a friend.
- Once your friend arrives make sure you can see/hear them and have a conversation.
- Test by yourself.
- Find a second device (cell phone, iPad, etc).
- Log into your TalkAbroad Account on the new device.
- Select "Help and Instructions" and then "Test Call".
- After giving access to your microphone/camera on both devices you should be able to see and hear yourself (with potential feedback).
Once you have completed the test call you will see a popup on your screen allowing you to confirm. You will then be able to see the partner availability and make a reservation!
If you run into any problems getting your computer to work please click on "How can we help?" and follow the troubleshooting steps provided. If you can't get it to work click "Chat" at the top of the help box to have our support team help.