My microphone isn't working!
Sometimes when you join the conversation your mic is muted by default. Here are some easy things to check:
- If you are using a latest-generation computer, make sure it hasn't been muted using a keyboard hotkey.
- If you are wearing headphones with a mic, try unplugging them, refresh the page and check if your partner can hear you through your computer's internal microphone.
- You can also switch to a different mic option by clicking the mic box located on the top right.
If none of these steps above are working:
- Mic troubleshooting - Windows:
- Right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom-right part of the screen and choose Sounds or Recording Devices (Depending on the Windows version that you are currently using).
- Double-click on the device that represents your microphone. The Microphone Properties window will appear. Click the Levels tab.
- In the Levels tab make sure that Microphone and Microphone Boost are set to an appropirate level. Also, take a look if your mic is muted or not by clicking on the blue speaker next to the Microphone slider.
- If your partner still can not hear you, try from a different browser. If it still does not work, restart the computer.
- Mic Troubleshooting - Mac OS
- Click the Apple icon present in the top left corner of the screen. A menu will appear, click System Preferences.
- Under System Preferences select Sound either by clicking it or by searching for it in the search text box.
- Under Sound select the Input tab. the list of recording devices will appear. Make sure that the Internal Microphone is selected. Try speaking into your microphone, and look for blue bars moving beside Input Level while you talk. if the blue bars are rising while you are speaking that means your microphone is properly configured.
- If your partner still cannot hear you, try from a different browser (Safari is the default browser on Apple devices. Sometimes other browsers might have an incompatibility with the mic)
- Restart the computer.